Boston 2013, here I come!


For someone who's accustomed to a hectic life style and tight schedule, in the next 24 hours, I will be subjected to an abrupt slowing of pace, almost to a complete halt. That's because of an ultra long haul that would take me across continents to Boston for the 117th Boston Marathon. This would be the ultimate test of patience. I hope I won't go insane with boredom. 

Well, what will be will be. It's called passion when you sign on for Boston Marathon. But it takes a certain insanity to actually take the plunge and go on that journey. And to do it the second time round? It's beyond insanity, it's moronic. 



But I am all of the above. This is after all, Boston. Not just any other marathon. It is the ultimate, world renown, longest standing tradition, Top 5 marathon of all marathons. And if that's not enough, it requires a qualifying time to even register for a place. To BQ is quite a big deal actually.

I know of a few Malaysians who BQ'ed. But having the means to go all the way there to race is quite another thing. Flight alone would set you back 5K. And I am not even going to start with the long flights and transits. To the sensible minded ones, other choices like Tokyo or Hong Kong would be more appealing. But I do not belong to that group of people, remember? 

One good thing about doing it twice is that hopefully, with the advantage of the previous experience, one would be a bit wiser the second time round. From the issue of hotel stay, eating places, what to avoid etc, down to the details about the race course, I am a bit more 'informed'. The only difference would be the weather. As far as I know, it will be in the range of sub 10 degrees Celsius. Let's pray that it will stay that way. I would look really stupid if the weather were to turn out to be exactly like last year. 


Anyway, I would hope to nail this one with a better time than last year. (3:21). But there is really no telling since my fitness level has not really been great. One thing I am pretty sure about is that I won't be attempting any sub 3 this time. With a mileage of merely 75km/week, I would not even dream about tackling that monumental task. There you have it, all is well. I am at peace with myself once again.

So, au revoir Malaysia. I will venture into yet another dejavu sort of experience. Looking forward to a lobster meal. And I will definitely have to pay Harvard and MIT a visit this time. 




They say that Boston is only a victory lap. Let's just throw caution to the wind, and go out there and enjoy the run. And kiss a few Wellesley girls along the way....That, I can do with ease :)



Comments

  1. Good luck and have a good time in Boston :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Envy. That color that atmosphere~ Have fun there.. remember to slow down for girls of Wellesley~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not for long Kent, you are well on the way to BQ yourself.
      Sure, I'll take it easy :)

      Delete
  3. All the very best, Doc! Make us proud. errr... you already are, but make us prouder ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Deo! Not sure about the running part, but will surely do u proud with the kissing part ;)

      Delete
  4. All the best, Francis. Shoe 'em what you can do :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes Nick. I'll show them. Malaysian hospitality meets Wellesley tradition. ;)

      Delete
  5. All the best. Will be cheering for you from SBN!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Francis, read the news about the blast. Hope you are not affect. Pray for you and all the runners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, very disturbing indeed. but i m ok. thanks for ur concern.

      Delete
  7. Glad to know u r fine n ok from the blast, Francis... It was a sad sad day for all the runners worldwide... A tragedy that won`t be forgotten forever...

    My deepest prayers and sympathies towards all the victims and their families and friends... Runners united...

    Looking forward to read your entry on this incident as the eye witness on the scene... I`ll run for Boston this coming IOM on Sunday... =(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. It's heartbreaking. I will update my account on the incident soon.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts